It’s the economy, stupid
With the bailout looking increasingly like an antacid in a hot tub, here’s a news roundup about our impending economic apocalypse:
- The Economist on how we got ourselves into this mess
- The New York Times on the twilight of American economic dominance and the entropy of Wall Street
- Der Spiegel on the “the end of arrogance”
- The Wall Street Journal on what history can teach us about the market
- The New Yorker‘s Steve Coll on the rationality of panic
- An op-ed from Bloomberg Media’s Matthew Lynn about how in light of the part-nationalization of banks, bankers will have to adjust to the new reality of being civil servants.
- The Washington Post on the possibility of a financial world war
And finally, a rather tragic photo blog entitled “Sad Guys on Trading Floors”
On another note, Ezra Klein has an op-ed in the LA Times on the most elusive of all figures in the American political imagination: The Undecided Voter.